Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Can a Box be an Antique? Mommas' Homemade Gift Box

You may find this post at several Linky Parties. Please check them out for some great ideas.

In her later years, Momma made all 3 of her Children & her 6 Grand Children a gift by hand not because she couldn't afford to buy us something, but because she said she wanted us to have something made from her heart.  I also know she enjoyed making these things at the Senior center and I loved knowing it made her feel good.  

One gift she made each of us was 3 Wise Men with the base being a dish detergent bottle.  To present our gifts, she acquired large boxes which she covered with contact paper.  This has been about 25 years ago.  Not until this past Christmas did I stop and take a minute to just look at the box closely.  Only then did I realize that it took her hours to make our boxes.  The inside was lined with tissue paper & pieces of wood were put at the top edge to keep the tops from collapsing on the figurines. 

She later made us Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus and a Snowman.  I store all in this box.  I wonder if the other 8 boxes are still being used?  I know my mother is still using her's.
This box has made it through 2 house moves.  I need to do some minor repair.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.