Thursday, January 10, 2013

Super Simple Coasters

Sewing Machine Gifts 2012- A Series

I used embroidery files on my machine a lot more this past Christmas to make gifts.  However, if you don't have an embroidery machine or even a machine that can do a zig-zag stitch, you could make these without the letters by simply stitching squares with a straight stitch.

First I enJOYed several hours at the Sewing Forum site downloading FREE embroidery files.  You do need a free log-in.

Then I made some super simple coasters out of denim fabric from old jeans.
I used my Master Works Lite software to create multiple squares of a simple stitch.
Get my free PES file vs.9  here for 6 blank squares for largest hoop.
Get my free PES file vs.9 here for 6 squares with letter M- Tinker Toy font.

If your machine cannot use PES version 9 file, there are some free converter programs you might use.  I haven't tried them because my software lets me convert the major files I find.
You might try: TrueSizer by Wilcom  or  the online converter at Embroidery Designs.com.



The font used was Tinker Toy which I got FREE from the Sew Forum.
I did have to use my software to make the 'M' a bit more dense.  
That took some time for this otherwise should have been fast project.

 After the single stitched square and the monogramming was completed, 
I cut out the squares 1/4 inch from the stitched edge with the rotary cutter.
Each were laid on top of another piece of denim to cut out a copy for the back.
Then stitched over the single stitch line again.
Edges were left unfinished.

This post was featured by Pam
@
Threading My Way_Featured

Thanks to FREE
GIMP for cropping & other digital effects
 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo


14 comments:

  1. Oh they're really nice, and with my initial :) send them over lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I want one too! Stopping over and saying hi from a blog hop www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute project and fabulous machine!
    Happy week!

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome embroidering! Cute, quick coasters for a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute coasters! I love denim crafts! Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!

    T'onna

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat idea! I would so love an embroidery machine! One day....

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm. I think I need a smarter machine. :D Thanks for sharing. Looks great.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your coasters. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!



    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fun and cute. Useful too! Loved and pinned. Thank you for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being a designer I always look for new designs. These are super designs and I am thinking to use it for my next Embroidery Digitizing project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I was so happy to see a new post from you, This is a gorgeous design and I will share it with my mom. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.