Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Sewing Room ~ The Room of JOY

Do you remember my sewing room, or as some might call it these days, my studio?
I like to refer to it has my Lady's Nest as opposed to the Man Cave.
It's my room of JOY! 
I even worked here when the AC was out in 89° because I enJOY it so much.
If you don't remember this room, check back to the Feb 1, 2012 post and see more shots.

Thought I'd show you how it's changed & evolved in almost a year and a half.

Two cabinets of drawers are back to back and another cabinet with doors on the other end.  You can see extra space on the other end where I store bolted fabric & 2 monster size rolls of embroidery stabilizer.   One of the drawer units used to sit in the far corner with a shelve on top.  Now the shelf is to the left of the machine. 
Mr. G hung high shelves.  Shelves came with all the library furniture when I bought it & we couldn't figure out where to use these shelves with finished edges.   $1 each bracket from IKEA.  Mr. G also hung the $5 florescent lighting unit.  I still use the desk lamp when I need more focused light.

   No more L-shaped work area.  Now I have a triangle work area for cutting, sewing pressing.
   $2. 50 clock where I can see it while I'm working, instead of the wall clock.  
   $2 white shelving unit to hold things I frequently use.

     The basket for tiny scraps was a set of 5 I got on last year's HWY 127 yard sale for $1.  
     Yes, the shelf was curbside free and fit perfectly here with no touch up needed. 
     Just the right amount of room to store my old playground chair I had to get the year I went back to teach after my knee replacement.
    So when my little sewing student arrives, we set up the chair and move over the serger, & set up her machine.  See the power strip on the floor to the right for easy access.

     I feel so lucky to have found this $5 chair from Restore.  It is very comfortable and works here better than the big black office chair.  Most importantly, it feels good to my back, and the perfect height.  Took me about half an hour to clean it up.  That's all it needed.
 
    Cleared away some counter space so I could use the ironing board while I was standing.  I can still store it in the draw or iron with it in the drawer from my chair.

 I stole a nice wooden TV tray from Mr. G.  I think he got it at Goodwill.  It was the same height as my work surface.  With folded fabric, it can work as a space to press small quilt pieces.  
    The plastic shelving unit holds various needles & notions. The machine accessory box moved from the filing cabinet to right here where I need it. Waste basket is under the TV tray.

The shelf you see in the right corner is sitting on an old end table type storage cabinet that someone picked up on the curb and gave to me to use in my classroom.  The shelf on the right is that shelf that used to sit on top of the cabinet that is now used under the cutting table. (see the old post.) That unit used to be behind the camera in the corner.



        I guess you noticed my fabric stash hasn't dwindled any.  Matter of fact, it's grown a bit, because when you acquire fabric faster than you sew, that happens.
      
        So looking back at the old post & revising:

Looking for:
    >ideas for wall shelves
    >idea for storage organization under cutting table

    >new piece of plywood or such to completely cover top of the 3 cabinets together.  I knew I shouldn't have cut that piece down.

Ultimate wish: U shape cabinet or counter top for all sewing machines at same level with space for laptop. 


In time, if it's supposed to happen.


See updated room here- Aug. 18, 2014

         Hope you enJOYed visiting "The Room of JOY."  Come back and visit again!  It will probably evolve some more.
 ***************************************************
Thanks to the FREE programs:
possibly used for this post
GIMP for cropping & other digital effects
 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo
PicMonkey creating collages used on this page
 

20 comments:

  1. Lady's Nest and Room of Joy! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting room, Joy, with a place for everything. I'd love to spend time in this room, exploring all the nooks and crannies jam packed with sewing goods. Some great finds, especially the thread racks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome to come and spend time in this room Pam. That would be so exciting. I do plan to post more about nooks & crannies and the sewing stuff. As I took pictures, I found more little things I'd like to share.

      Delete
  3. Your sewing room looks great! Nice and bright and colourful - and so much yummy fabric too!!
    I also wanted to let you know that I featured your quilt block pillow on my round tuit post this week!
    Round Tuit 162
    Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great names for your awesome room! You have made use of every square inch of it too. I like how you have it all within sight, I need to see it to use it. Looks like you found some wonderful bargains along the way. It's great to see how it evolves too. Thanks for sharing. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a great room. I would love to play with all those pretty threads and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's a sewing room of Joy! I love being able to see all your fabric and tools - so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had a sewing room! You have a lot of fabric! Looks like a great space to work in! Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your room!! Some day I will get my sewing room back!! Thanks for sharing at my Pin Me Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this room! Ah, so much fabric, so many colors, I am jealous! I hope to have a "Lady Nest" some day, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your fabric! And that you have an actual craft room. I have taken over our formal dining room. Thanks for sharing at All Things Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful room to get creative in!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great space....looks like you have it all tucked in one room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great 'lady's nest' you have! Cozy, colorful and organized for your needs - easy to be creatively inspired surrounded by so much fabric and goodies at hand! Love your flat files and am sooooo envious of your spools of thread! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great room. Just looking at it, I want to create something colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I can just imagine how much fun you have creating in your space, and you fabric stash is just awesome! Thanks for linking up to 'Anything Goes Mondays'

    ReplyDelete
  16. As a fabric Hoarder myself I was visually delighted by your fabric Stash! *winks* I have a penchant for Vintage Fabrics and Trims to Create Wearable Art with and I have enough to Create decades worth of Bohemian Treasures with... but there's always room for MORE! *smiles* Thank you for taking us on a tour of your Studio and place of Great Joy! Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just love those shelves groaning under the weight of fabric.I love bright colours too, and your space is so welcoming and ready to play in! Very well organised. New Follower.I am having a giveaway on my blog if you'd like to visit.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a joy to see your sewing room! So many beautiful fabrics to discover and to inspire new creations! I love your thread palette of colors, so pretty! I liked the new updates very much, it turned out good! Joyful creations in your creative space! :)

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.