Saturday, December 5, 2015

Quilt Shot Block #51~ Coin Quilt- Memory Quilt #2

 Coin Quilt

Best I can tell, this would be called a Coin Quilt.
Quilt Story
I just wanted a "Quilt as You Go" project and decided to use 
the 2 ½ inch strip cut from my Dad's shirts in this process.
One of Dad's bed pads and sheets were cut into long wide strips.
The sheeting was spray basted to the bed padding.
 
Starting at the left end of the pad strip, it was a stitch and flip all the way.

*Sashing the Panels*

Decided how panels should be arranged.
Labeled seams that will be sewn together.
Able to roll them back up to save space.

Used Gourmet Quilter's You-Tube directions to do the sashing.
So the 2½ inch strips cut from the shirts still worked. As directed by Gourmet quilter, I was able to cut a 
1 inch and a 1½ inch strip from them. 
 I tried to cut only what I needed, since some strips would be needed for the border.
 I really like how the sashing turned out.  
Funny Ellisimo machine skipped stitches, 
but when I switched to the little Brother, it plowed right through the thickness.
Even had some labels to turn up on the sashing.

*Binding*

To bind the quilt, I followed directions by Missouri Star Quilt Company.

Even after sashing, there were still lots of strips left over.
Notice here, I had them in the order I sewed them into the quilt.  
A pattern was kept throughout the quilt.
 Ironing the strips in half first is an EXCELLENT idea to help remind you of the right side of the fabric.
However, I sewed all the strips the wrong way the first time.
And FINISHED!



 Kept all tags, pockets, etc. whenever possible.
Machine embroidered the label & hand stitched it to the back of the quilt. (Full name was blurred.)
As I was grabbing up the quilt to stitch the signature label, I found one more shirt label.

 Memories.

Take a look at the first Memory Quilt
First Memory Quilt
**************************************

Thanks to the FREE program

 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo & other alterations to pictures.



13 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so good. What a satisfying finish and so meaningful too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat quilt.

    Glad to see I'm not the only one who sews their bindings backwards. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the details of how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt as you go method worked out beautifully for this handsome finish. Love that you kept the labels, tags and all the little details from the shirts. Really adds interest and personality to this fitting tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that quilt is awesome!! What a meaningful memory you've done!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Two Uses Tuesday!
    Hugs,
    Pili

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful, I love the tags, pockets etc showing. It's really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a precious quilt and a great idea to use the mattress pad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely quilt! Love all the photos of the work you did and the label is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely idea. Beautiful quilt. #trash2treasure

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a masterpiece, so many memories sewn in there, I'd love to make these for my teens to go away to University, now I wish I could sew, your instructions are so good and really handy having the videos in there too. thank you so much for sharing with me on #Trash2Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely memory quilt! Thanks for sharing at the Submarine Sunday Link Party!!

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.